Saturday, January 4, 2014

STOP: Drop Your Mind Off Before Entering Church

For some Christians, I think they view that a "simple faith" is a building block of Christianity. However, I am not even sure what that means by those who use it. Does it mean we should have no knowledge or reason, or in other words we should be "anti-intellectual"? It seems to me that this is just laziness garbed in spirituality.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it is not only unbiblical, but also antibiblical. We find passages contradict this sentiment, such as “Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men” (1 Corinthians 14:20). We know that knowledge is one of the spiritual gifts from God (1 Corinthians 12:8). Jesus chastised the Jewish lawyers because they took away the key of knowledge (Luke 11:52). Paul praise Timothy for his knowledge of the scriptures since a child because it made him wise unto salvation through Christ (2 Timothy 3:15). Paul, in 1 Corinthians 13:11, talks about lasting great virtues and makes this statement: “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” This does not sound as if he his against knowledge.

In fact knowledge and wisdom is applauded and foolishness and ignorance is degraded in much of Proverbs (Proverbs 1, 4, 8, 12, and 15 just to name a few passages). In fact knowledge is built upon virtue and upon knowledge is built temperance (2 Peter 1:5-6). James tells us how a wise and knowledgeable person should act; with good behavior, with meekness that is not boasting (James 3:13).

We see that if one infers “simple faith” to be anti-intellectual, than there is no scriptural bases for this, in fact it goes against scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join others & receive
my free blog posts &
resources. Get it now.